#GIRLBOSS

Today I would like to tell you about a fantastic and inspiring book I've recently been reading. Or maybe not, about a fantastic and inspiring person who wrote that book! Sophia Amoruso, the CEO and founder of well known Nasty Gal, wrote #GIRLBOSS in order to help other girls to achieve their success by telling her own story. Apart from her unbelievable journey and advices, I am absolutely in love with her writing! I can assure you that it's one of those books that you literally devour and can't wait for another free moment to read it.


Basically I don't want to spoil you, because I want you to read that book. This is why I will not describe Sophia's biography, nor the book's contents. I will just tell you my favourite passages and quotes, that should be inspiring enough to go to the bookstore!
A really cool thing (that rarely appears in books based on author's experiences) in #GIRLBOSS is few stories of different people who made their dreams come true. It's very motivating and refreshing as it makes Sophia's book more complex and interesting. My favourite was Norma Kamali's passage which taught me: The most important thing to do is to take risks. The risks are where breakthroughs happen, and big shifts take you to new places and create opportunities. They can be really scary and intimidating, but that means it is taking you out of your comfort zone.

The lesson I needed the most from that book was how to manage my finances. Chapter no. 5: Money Looks Better in the Bank Than on Your Feet was a bucket of cold water I had to be thrown on with, and although it's the exact opposite of what miss Carrie Bradshaw was teaching us throughout all the six seasons, this time it's Sophia: 1 vs. Sex and the City: 0. I am quite sure I am not the only shopaholic around, so believe me, as an experienced money spender - you need to read this chapter...
My favourite chapter is no. 6 called: Hocus-pocus: The Power of Magical Thinking. Sounds interesting, doesn't it? It actually is! Sophia expresses there her down-to-earth attitude and teaches us how to differ luck from magic. The Nasty Gal CEO doesn't believe in luck. Why? Because according to her our faith is in our hands. And... I love that thinking! I am one of these people who every time when something good happens to me, I am thankful of being so lucky. I don't know if it's  the unnecessary modesty or simply a lack of confidence, but why shouldn't I be thankful to myself?! She is so right! Why don't we believe in magic that we create and that we are a part of, instead of giving credit to something such abstract as luck?

Another thing that really hit me is - the way you think of life, the way it turns. I am the last person who has been thinking positively lately. And? It didn't bring anything good, actually it brought even more problems. How about staying positive? I know it might sound naive, but let's face it - there are no benefits of being constantly depressed and sad. That's a simple advice, but a very wise one.
I also found very helpful a chapter, where Sophia describes what's relevant for her while reading cover letters. These are potentially small things that you simply don't see when you apply for a job position. You probably think (like me): another silly WORD/PDF file that will end up in trash anyway. Well, apparently not, on condition that you write it properly! The same thing happens when it comes to CV writing. Even if you have done the least complicated jobs in the world, it's worth putting effort in describing the smallest duties you were responsible of.

I want to believe I am also a GIRLBOSS and I will definitely do my best to achieve that, thanks to Sophia I know I am not the only one struggling and that hard work at some point pays off. I wish us all best of luck!

I believe that there is a silver lining in everything, and once you begin to see it, you'll need sunglasses to combat the glare.

- Sophia Amoruso


sketches (c) Pinterest

pretty spontaneously

3 comments:

  1. I do like your writing style! And - to be honest - i've never heard about Sophia Amoruso. So sorry! However, I love reading books/articles about people who have achieved something in their lives.
    You've convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Tell me your impressions once you finish reading! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED GirlBoss! It's one of the books that inspired me to take the leap, leave my 8-5 job and start my own virtual Assistant business!
    www.thedreamvirtualassistant.com
    mylifebeingrenewed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Instagram